The Federal Government has announced the arrival of the “Covid Temporary Disaster Relief” for Victorian workers.
Details understood as from today are as follows:
- Workers who are unable to work because of lockdown restrictions will be eligible for $500 a week if they normally work more than 20 hours each week, and those who work less than 20 hours receive $325 weekly until restrictions ease.
- Eligible workers will include Australian citizens, residents, and visa holders who are permitted to work in Australia, and aged 17 and older.
- The new payment will be delivered through Services Australia (Centrelink), with applications to open to affected Victorians on Tuesday 8th June 2021.
- The payment would become available from the date an area has been determined a Commonwealth hotspot, and cease as soon as restrictions are lifted.
- To be eligible for the payment, workers aren’t expected to use annual leave entitlements, but must have exhausted all other leave entitlements available to them such as JobSeeker or other Government payments.
- Eligible applicants must also have liquid assets of less than $10,000
Unfortunately as we cannot act on behalf of clients in dealings with Services Australia (Centrelink), anyone seeking this payment should make contact themselves.